Saturday, May 23, 2009

TRANS RELATED MOVIES

Strange as it might seem, I don't like most trans related films. Very few are written from a transpersons perspective; and damn few less even have any transpeople in them. Maybe that's 'cause most are about how the poor confused transperson or their lover ended up dead? Gee, there's some motivation for ya!

I've mentioned this movie in blogs before but given my spiffy new soapbox here I'm throwing it out again. I think anyone with the least interest in anything transgender needs to see this movie, Beautiful Boxer. It's by far the best movie with a transgender subject line I have ever seen and almost totally refutes what I said above about trans related movies. Parinya (Nong-Toom's fem name) actually has a cameo in the film. She has since moved on to become a model and well known actress in Thai television and cinema.

It's the story of a Muay-Thai kickboxer, Nong-Toom, who makes her transition while still competing in kickboxing. It's a foreign movie with subtitles, but it's one of those that will make you forget you are reading subtitles. There is one error in the movie caused by the Thai-English subtitle translation; she is referred to as being a transvestite, though she is transexual.

Most MTF TS's have a similar story, but her story so closely parallels mine! I strongly identify with her experience, the chief parallel having been my military service. Her realization of self and childhood experiences are very similar to mine.

Even outside of the transgender subject matter, this is a fabulous movie, the scenery and cinematography are wonderful. The actor portraying Toom is himself a Muay Thai boxer, and did a wonderful job.

MUST SEE!

1 comment:

  1. I have a tag over on my movie blog for trans movies (though I use the phrase "tranny cinema"). I think there's a bit more diversity among trans related movies than you give credit in your opening, you are unfortunately spot on when you note that we don't tell our own stories, and the ones that DO get told are fairly limited in terms of subject matter. There are, what? Four varieties of trans people in films? Prostitutes, psychos, victims, and punch lines? Yeesh.

    Anyway, Beautiful Boxer is a pretty good film, but I would be lying if I said I liked it more than All About My Mother, which starts out with a trans stereotype, but completely turns it on its head.

    Nice to see the blog, in any event.

    ReplyDelete